[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Wed Dec 30 21:03:54 GMT 2020

Hey,

> I'm running Manjaro: Plasma 5.20.4, KDE-Frameworks 5.76.0, QT 5.15.2.
> and checked KAlarm 20.08.3-1: It pulls as a dependency kdepim-runtime
> 20.08.3-1.
> For safety reasons I checked kdepim-runtime 20.08.3-1: It pulls as a
> dependency akonadi, akonadi-calendar, akonadi-notes and some other stuff.
>
> For me this sounds I'd get Akonadi through the backdoor?

well it all sounds like a packaging issue. From my maintainers work I know how
hard it is to provide a good default set of dependencies for packages. Akonadi
is not needed to run everything inside kdepim-runtime. In the past there were
tests to mark only Akonadi as suggested or recommended but this ended up with
users, that were missing Akonadi...
In the end it is quite hard to provide a standard set  of dependencies. With
much more manpower it would be doable to split kdepim-runtime and provide
dedicated depdendencies for each the parts. But until now it doesn't seem
worth doing this. Because installing a package does only mean it takes disk
space in first place. It does not forth you using it ;) If Kalarm is not using
Akonadi, than it won't use Akonadi and you don't have to care if is broken or
not. And if Akonadi is installed, that means it is a packaging issue. But do
you care about all the other packages, that are installed and you do not use?

sandro