[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Hessler, Klaus-Michael mailinglisten at kmHessler.de
Wed Dec 30 17:23:29 GMT 2020

Thanks again, David:

I appreciate your clarification!
>>> Please note that as from KDE applications release 20.08, KAlarm no
>>> longer uses Akonadi for alarm storage.
>> Sounds very good! I'm running Manjaro: Plasma 5.20.4, KDE-Frameworks
>> 5.76.0, QT 5.15.2. and checked KAlarm 20.08.3-1: It pulls as a
>> dependency kdepim-runtime 20.08.3-1. For safety reasons I checked
>> kdepim-runtime 20.08.3-1: It pulls as a dependency akonadi,
>> akonadi-calendar, akonadi-notes and some other stuff. For me this
>> sounds I'd get Akonadi through the backdoor?
> KAlarm does still use Akonadi directly or indirectly for some purposes
> including emailing, migrating its resources when upgrading, accessing
> contacts, etc, because KDE software libraries use Akonadi to provide
> these functions. So it will depend on some Akonadi packages, even
> though it no longer uses Akonadi for alarm storage and retrieval.
But this means: Whoever wants to get rid of Akonadi (for the database
issues around this), may not use KAlarm. In my eyes, it makes no sense
to setup a database server and Akonadi, just for an alarm-clock. May be
an idea for a new, lightweight application?

Regards, Michael