[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Dec 23 21:29:54 GMT 2020

On Mittwoch, 23. Dezember 2020 19:54:23 CET Hessler, Klaus-Michael wrote:
> > It's great that many people in this thread try to help, but I have the
> > impression that Martin (and me) are the only people who have really
> > understood what you, Michael, want to do. I'm not sure whether it's a
> > good idea to use the system PostgreSQL server instead of a standalone one.
> > What do you hope to gain by this?
>
> Which solution is your recommendation:

My general recommendation is: Stick to the defaults.

But since you are already considering to use postgres for Akonadi (which is a
good choice; I have a much better experience with postgres than with mysql/
mariadb on old hardware), let's check your options.

> A: One PostgreSQL-installation, three databases: postgres, myDB, Akonadi.
> B: One PostgreSQL-installation, two databases: postgres, myDB; let
> Akonadi use postgres.
> C: Two PostgreSQL-installations:
> C1: Two databases: postgres, myDB;
> C2: postgres OR Akonadi for Akonadi

C is easy to set up and my recommendation for people who want to use postgres
with Akonadi.
A may make sense for you given that you already use the system postgres for
other databases. See Martin's mail for further hints.
B is a no-go in my opinion. I'd use separate databases for different
applications for better isolation. Of course, this can also be done with a
single database, but it's more work and much more difficult to set up.