[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Dec 24 18:52:52 GMT 2020

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 07:54:23PM +0100, Hessler, Klaus-Michael wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Ingo!

i add my +1 to this. ingo's contributions to this thread have taught me much.

> OK, may be my poor understanding: I use PostgreSQL very much with different
> databases, so "my PostgreSQL-server" is running almost full-time. In the
> past I understood from this list, that usage of PostgreSQL for Akonadi is
> the better choice. So _my approach_ was to have one server only, for "my
> usage" and for Akonadi.

while i had never thought about this before the current discussion here, i
will shortly move my akonadi database to a shared system-wide postgresql
server, but my motive for that have not been mentioned here yet, which is:

upgrades. when upgrading to a new major version of postgresql, it's nec'y
to dump/restore the databases. pg_upgrade is a convenient way to do this but
my work flow is different since i don't want to have two versions of pgsql
installed at the same time (as pg_upgrade requires). so what i do is:

pg_dump > backup
service postgresql stop
zypper update postgresql\*
service postgresql start
pg_restore < backup

this dance is fraught with peril if my postgresql server is started by
akonadi rather than by systemd. for example i end up starting the pgsql
server from my shell, to avoid having akonadi see that its database is
not present and automatically recreate it.

also, postgresql may perform better if i give it different zfs parameters
(blocksize and so forth) or even use ufs on a zvol to avoid having two
log-structured filing systems. this is not practical when the postgres data
files are in my home directory rather than in the normal system location.

> Which solution is your recommendation:
> A: One PostgreSQL-installation, three databases: postgres, myDB, Akonadi.
> B: One PostgreSQL-installation, two databases: postgres, myDB; let Akonadi
> use postgres.
> C: Two PostgreSQL-installations:
> C1: Two databases: postgres, myDB;
> C2: postgres OR Akonadi for Akonadi
>
> Let's decide this question first!

i look forward to reading the answers to this.

--
Paul Vixie