Part 2 of any progress on kmail in debian buster?

John White john at lawquest.com
Sun Oct 13 23:58:30 BST 2019

Paul,

I am attempting to switch to kmail2 to postgre sql and follow the advice in the email
which you attached (quoted in full at the end of this email).

I first note that the email explains the opensuse way and I use debian buster.

"root at johwhi:/home/johwhi# apt-get in postgresql-server libQt5Sql5-postgresql

did not work so I installed postgre server from the debian repository.  I continued
following the instructions, which worked, until I got to $ psql postgres when I got
the following note, which I interpret as an error.

"postgres at johwhi:~$ psql postgres
"

So, rather than risk messing up my email unnecessarily, I did not proceed further
and decided to send you what I have done so far and see if you have any comment.

For your convenience, I now quote the opensuse instructions which I am attempting
to follow:

"First we install all necessary packages for PostgreSQL and the Akonadi connection:
# zypper in postgresql-server libQt5Sql5-postgresql
Activate and start PostgreSQL Server:
# systemctl enable --now postgresql
Create Postgres user and database:
# su - postgres
$ createuser <your-username>
$ psql postgres
postgres=# alter user <your-username> createdb;
postgres=# \q;
# exit
Then we set up the database access with your regular user account:
$ createdb akonadi-<your-username>
Now we stop Akonadi and delete or move the settings. This is especially important if
you have already had started Akonadi!
$ akonadictl stop
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/akonadi
We adjust the connection to the database server in the file /~/.config/akonadi/
akonadiserverrc/ as follows:
[%General]
Driver=QPSQL

[QPSQL]
Host=/tmp/akonadi-<your-username>.hash
InitDbPath=/usr/bin/initdb
Name=akonadi
Options=
ServerPath=/usr/bin/pg_ctl
StartServer=true
Finally restart Akonadi and you are ready to go:
$ akonadictl start"

John