Part 2 of any progress on kmail in debian buster?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Oct 14 20:37:01 BST 2019

Hi John,

it would be great, if you would send plaintext-only messages to this mailing
list. I, and probably lots of other readers of this mailing list, have
disabled displaying of HTML messages by default and, unfortunately, the text
version of your email lacks some important text passages.

On Montag, 14. Oktober 2019 00:58:30 CEST John White wrote:
[snip]
> did not work so I installed postgre server from the debian repository.  I
> continued following the instructions, which worked, until I got to $ psql
> postgres when I got the following note, which I interpret as an error.
>
> "postgres at johwhi:~$ psql postgres
> psql (11.5 (Debian 11.5-1+deb10u1))
> Type "help" for help."

The last two lines were missing in the text version of your email which at
first made me wonder what note you are talking about. Then I had the idea to
check whether your messages was actually an HTML mail. Anyway, I digress.

> So, rather than risk messing up my email unnecessarily, I did not proceed
> further and decided to send you what I have done so far and see if you have
> any comment.

This note seems perfectly fine to me. It's simply psql's greeting note. I'm
wondering why there is no prompt as in the instructions quoted by you (i.e.
"postgres=#"), but maybe on Debian psql is configured without prompt. You
can't do anything wrong with typing the two commands (i.e. "alter ..." [don't
forget the closing ";"] and then "\q" after the greeting note.