All local folders lost in KMail

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Wed Aug 14 15:50:12 BST 2019

On Friday, 9 August 2019 16:05:30 BST you wrote:

> Change of plan again; the overclocking made no difference, so I followed
> various guides on the Web and interpreted them for my Gentoo system.
>
> I had to reinstall akonadi and qt-sql with USE=postgres, but after setting
> up for pgsql I restarted akonadi, then reimported the mail archive I'd
> remembered to make.  ;)
>
> Let's see how it goes. Thanks all for your help.

Well, that was a disaster. I've now lost two whole days of e-mails. Postgres
seemed to be faster than MySql, but at what cost!

I lost yesterday's mails because KMail decided it would save my daily archive
under my home directory instead of in a separate partition mounted below
there. So when I removed my home directory and created a new one, again, the
archive was lost. One day down.

Today I had some more new mails waiting to be read, but I did something else
first on another desktop and when I came back to KMail I watched in horror as
it proceeded to delete all my folders and messages. Another day's mails lost.

I wish I could work out what is different about my setup - or even make a wild
guess. If more people suffered as I do, something would be done about it
toute-suite.

If anyone has sent me anything in the last two days, please send it again.
Thanks.

Peter.