All local folders lost in KMail

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Fri Aug 9 16:05:30 BST 2019

On Friday, 9 August 2019 11:53:17 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 9 August 2019 10:26:38 BST Colin Close wrote:
> > On Friday, 9 August 2019 09:27:38 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > I wonder: could database operations be getting tangled up by queries etc
> > > coming back before another thread is ready to catch it? If so, perhaps I
> > > should look into switching to Postgres. I know several people here have
> > > done that, but I'm deterred by unfamiliarity, but more by maintenance
> > > issues such as upgrades.
> >
> > I don't use anything else but postgres now. It's faster and more reliable
> > (akonadi fsck is a good test). However for recent versions of the Qt
> > driver
> > one needs to patch akonadi as the Qt driver has become case sensitive for
> > sql queries. It's a one liner which has probably made it's way to the
> > latest source by now. Just in case you can find the patch via this page.
> > https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/c9v9wu/akonadi_and_qt_513/
> > I have updated postgres twice now with no issues. It's pretty simple.
> > This page gives a good description https://www.enricozini.org/blog/2015/
> > akonadi-install/
> > The driver file will already exist you just need to edit it to use the
> > correct driver [QPSQL]
> > Hope this helps
>
> Thanks; yes, it certainly does. I'll save it for later though because I've
> had another idea. This box was made by Armari, a company that makes high-
> performance workstations for financial firms in the City, where
> milliseconds count, apparently. They delivered it with their standard
> overclocking setup: 4GHz instead of 3.3. I set it back to 3.3 but today
> I've put the 4GHz settings back in to see if the machine can now keep up
> with the NVMe (if that is indeed my problem).

Change of plan again; the overclocking made no difference, so I followed
various guides on the Web and interpreted them for my Gentoo system.

I had to reinstall akonadi and qt-sql with USE=postgres, but after setting up
for pgsql I restarted akonadi, then reimported the mail archive I'd remembered
to make.  ;)

Let's see how it goes. Thanks all for your help.

Peter.