Considering to switch away from KDEPIM/Akonadi

Erik Quaeghebeur kdepim-users at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Fri Apr 5 21:03:37 BST 2019

On vrijdag 5 april 2019 18:32:40 CEST, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> And further, the whole point of Akonadi was to collect all "social desktop"
> data in one place for some higher purpose that's never been realized and
> instead introduced middleware that's more often than not an impediment to
> program use without, after many years, any benefit to the operation of the
> programs I use most. It's just something to fear, or work around, or live
> with, in hopes that it'll work one day, after many years of promises.

I agree that Akonadi works sub-optimally. However, its purpose is quite
clear: to make ‘groupware’ data available to in a standardized way, with
reusable components so that not every application needs to roll their own.
Its use outside of kdepim has remained limited. But for example Zanshin
also uses it as its backend (thankfully, so my todos sync together with my
calendar data) and plays nicely together with ktasks (each presents a
different view of the same data). As another example, Trojita directly uses
the contacts data in Akonadi, so it doesn't have to implement its own
contacts component.

So, to be honest, I think the idea of Akonadi is good. The implementation
is buggy and possibly a bit over-engineered. I think there is just a
manpower problem to fix the bugs. As far as I know there is no corporate
backing; Kolab is now sponsoring Kube <https://kube-project.com/>
development.

Best,

Erik