Considering to switch away from KDEPIM/Akonadi

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Fri Apr 5 10:53:05 BST 2019

On Friday, 5 April 2019 08:37:20 BST Ianseeks wrote:

> The only thing that still didn't work well was the filtering on incoming
> email as it created duplicates (i've not tried it since) so i let all emails
> arrive first then selected all then applied the filters manually. I'm only
> getting the occasional duplicate now.

That's a good idea - I must try it. At present new emails are being filtered
into their proper folders, and marked unread, but the Unread total is not
updated so I don't know they're there. I have to stop and start akonadi for
them to appear.

I've several times created a new user for myself, setting KMail up again and
importing my my mails. I get the same behaviour every time.

I've also found that importing from KMail archive is not a good idea: it
doesn't remove duplicates, which continue to cause problems thereafter. I
first extract the archive, then import the directory structure; that does
remove duplicates.

There's another problem with archives: they only store the emails themselves,
not things like Important marks. They aren't proper archives in the usual
sense.

Peter.