Considering to switch away from KDEPIM/Akonadi

Ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 6 08:45:49 BST 2019

On Friday, 5 April 2019 10:53:05 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 5 April 2019 08:37:20 BST Ianseeks wrote:
>
> > The only thing that still didn't work well was the filtering on incoming
> > email as it created duplicates (i've not tried it since) so i let all emails
> > arrive first then selected all then applied the filters manually. I'm only
> > getting the occasional duplicate now.
>
> That's a good idea - I must try it. At present new emails are being filtered
> into their proper folders, and marked unread, but the Unread total is not
> updated so I don't know they're there. I have to stop and start akonadi for
> them to appear.
I configured the toolbar to have "Apply All Filters" on it to make it easy.
I occasionally get an "Unread" total on the inbox even though there are none.  It seems that sometimes the process doesn't complete.

> I've several times created a new user for myself, setting KMail up again and
> importing my my mails. I get the same behaviour every time.
>
> I've also found that importing from KMail archive is not a good idea: it
> doesn't remove duplicates, which continue to cause problems thereafter. I
> first extract the archive, then import the directory structure; that does
> remove duplicates.
>
> There's another problem with archives: they only store the emails themselves,
> not things like Important marks. They aren't proper archives in the usual
> sense.

i've not tried that for years.  I think it tried it when migrating from one version to another and it didn't seem to work well.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20190403
Qt: 5.12.2 KDE Frameworks: 5.56.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.15.3 - kwin 5.15.3