So I think I found my new mails...

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Mar 26 23:06:40 BST 2018

On Montag, 26. März 2018 23:26:45 CEST Paul Vixie wrote:
> several kmail-loving users have reported being unable to use kontact as
> much after the akonadi change as they did before. some of us say not at
> all, some of us say only for pgp, some of us say we bought more hardware
> and bandwidth and just continued. and yes, some of us were not
> respectful in how we described our experiences, but i think that's been
> dealt with (variously.)
>
> to the extent that the response is, it works for the devs so there's no
> problem, or please file more bug reports because we still don't accept
> the existence of a problem, or there may or may not be a problem but you
> may not complain about it lest you be seen as non-collaborative, or you
> may not criticize the process or culture or team who brought us to this
> point... such responses have been quite non-collaborative, however
> pragmatic, respectful, or considerate they also were.
>
> an important step on the way to solving a problem is admitting it exists.

From Dan's, Martin's and Pablo's messages it should be clear that the devs
(like Dan) and other contributors (like Martin and Pablo) have already taken
this important step by identifying certain problems in the implementation.

I don't remember any dev ever denying that there are still problems with
Akonadi. Yes, devs did say that they are not seeing those problems themselves
on their machines, but that's neither denial nor non-admittance. From own
experience, I can assure you that problems that a dev cannot reproduce are the
most annoying and frustrating problems, and the hardest to fix problems.

As former maintainer, I freely admit that KMail always had issues. One of the
most hated problems of the pre-Akonadi-KMail was that filtering was blocking,
i.e. when you fetched a lot of new mail then you could go grab a coffee while
KMail was filtering this mail. This was particularly painful in combination
with certain spam filters where filtering a single message took 1 second. This
issue was finally fixed with the architectural changes that were introduced
with Akonadi. The grass wasn't all green before Akonadi. It's neither all
green now with Akonadi. But I'm absolutely certain that it's getting greener
over time.