So I think I found my new mails...

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Mon Mar 26 23:13:43 BST 2018

Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> I don't remember any dev ever denying that there are still problems with
> Akonadi. Yes, devs did say that they are not seeing those problems themselves
> on their machines, but that's neither denial nor non-admittance. From own
> experience, I can assure you that problems that a dev cannot reproduce are the
> most annoying and frustrating problems, and the hardest to fix problems.

if any dev wants to send me a tumbleweed-suse binary and an ssh key, i
would be happy to screen-share and demonstrate so that you can debug
inside my environment. almost anything i could do to help, i would do.

> As former maintainer, I freely admit that KMail always had issues. One of the
> most hated problems of the pre-Akonadi-KMail was that filtering was blocking,
> i.e. when you fetched a lot of new mail then you could go grab a coffee while
> KMail was filtering this mail. This was particularly painful in combination
> with certain spam filters where filtering a single message took 1 second. This
> issue was finally fixed with the architectural changes that were introduced
> with Akonadi. The grass wasn't all green before Akonadi. It's neither all
> green now with Akonadi. But I'm absolutely certain that it's getting greener
> over time.

i do all filtering in the MTA, so this is a problem i would not have
encountered.

your certainty is alluring but not reassuring. with no way to know who
is working on what, or who hopes to have done what by when, and no way
to influence those things with incentives, i feel blind and dependent.

note: i am a kmail-lover, and if i seem frustrated, it's not because i
want kmail to fail -- it's because i want to use it _more_, and i want
to be able to enthusiastically recommend it to others, as i once did.

--
P Vixie