Fixing things Akonadi doesn't with some SQL-fu

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Thu Mar 22 09:53:14 GMT 2018

On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 19:42:23 CET Paul Vixie wrote:
> René J.V. Bertin wrote:
<snip>
> >> i don't think any of them can afford to interrupt their careers
> >> with a one-month contract to fix akonadi
> >
> > That leaves the solution of putting up the(se) task(s) as student
> > projects, as well as on sites where developers roam who are looking
> > specifically for contract-based projects. This ML isn't the best way
> > to do that, of course; there are sites dedicated for that (even on
> > stack-overflow you can set bounties). Here's such a site in France,
> > for instance: https://emploi.developpez.com/ (it should be possible
> > to post an ad in English).
>
> if i have to hire someone who isn't a kdepim dev to do this work, i know
> how to do that. i just don't know how to train them up to speed on this
> code base

The Architecture overview document might help and of course we have mailing
list and IRC channel where any one can ask us to explain something to them or
help them with their work. Just because they are paid for the contributions
does not mean I wouldn't spend my spare time to help them succeed.

> nor how to get them and their work accepted by the existing
> team.

You make it sound like we would treat them differently from voluntary
contributors. We won't. As long as they communicate with us and respect our
feedback there's no reason why we should not help them or not accept their
contributions.

After all, many of the current (and past) KDE PIM devs, myself included, did
some paid work on KDE in the past as part of our employment and we never had a
problem with our contributions not being accepted. If the maintainer has a
different vision than the customer you work for, a compromise can often be
found that suits both sides (as long as customer's vision is not removing
Akonadi for instance...).

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683