ok, maybe i won't find any devs to back akonadi out of kde-pim after all

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Mar 22 00:31:48 GMT 2018

Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> You're not entirely powerless:
>
> * good quality bug reports do make a difference: if the problem is more
> precisely identified, it will more likely be fixed (as with Dan
> responding that he would look into the kolabsys resource, prompted by a
> more detailed explanation of some of the issues you encounter);

i'll issue bug reports after pablo and dan have said it's worth doing.
right now the story is, most existing bug reports could be closed if
four database-related changes were incorporated. i'll wait for that.

> * donating to KDE is an indirect way to help
> <https://www.kde.org/donations>; there are specific donation sprints,
> e.g., for Randa meetings where developers come together to fix stuff and
> add features in a burst of activity <https://randa-meetings.ch/>; ...

i'd like to pay for some plane tickets and pizza to make those meetings
more effective. if they don't happen to work on my particular bugs then
kmail will still be the cheapest software i ever used.

> * there are sites like bountysource <https://www.bountysource.com/>
> where you can sponsor fixing specific bugs, which you can mention in the
> bugreport; I guess if the total bounty is high enough, it will attract
> attention ...

that's a whole lot of external costs and complexity. will avoid, for
now. what i need is some existing kde dev to contact me and say, i've
got a free month coming up, and if what you and i care about overlaps,
and you can pay $XYZ amount, i'll spend that month doing those things.

--
P Vixie