ok, maybe i won't find any devs to back akonadi out of kde-pim after all

Erik Quaeghebeur kdepim-users at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Wed Mar 21 16:30:25 GMT 2018

Dear Paul,

> i don't think any of them can afford to interrupt their careers
> with a one-month contract to fix akonadi, and that leaves me
> powerless to affect my own outcomes, […]

You're not entirely powerless:

* good quality bug reports do make a difference: if the problem is more
precisely identified, it will more likely be fixed (as with Dan responding
that he would look into the kolabsys resource, prompted by a more detailed
explanation of some of the issues you encounter);

* donating to KDE is an indirect way to help
<https://www.kde.org/donations>; there are specific donation sprints, e.g.,
for Randa meetings where developers come together to fix stuff and add
features in a burst of activity <https://randa-meetings.ch/>; I don't think
you can specifically sponsor a person (to work on a specific bug), though,
(although there's *always* the right price, I guess). You can look at these
donations as rewards for past *good* experiences with KDE software

* there are sites like bountysource <https://www.bountysource.com/> where
you can sponsor fixing specific bugs, which you can mention in the
bugreport; I guess if the total bounty is high enough, it will attract
attention (I just created
<https://www.bountysource.com/issues/56301087-store-kmail-tags-in-imap-flags-like-thunderbird>
to test); downside: your money is ‘locked in’, it seems

Best,

Erik