something is really wrong with my kmail/kontact

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 08:09:34 BST 2018

On Saturday July 07 2018 21:25:44 E. Hakan Duran wrote:

Hi,

>I am embarrassed to not have done this before asking.

It would probably have been enough to log off and back in, but yeah, after a big upgrade a reboot is often necessary if not only to start using all the updated stuff.

>I reported it as a bug (#396299).

>[warn] epoll_wait: Bad file descriptor
>KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
>KCrash: Application Name = kontact path = /usr/bin pid = 14213
>KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/kontact
>[warn] epoll_wait: Bad file descriptor

Do you have DrKonqi installed? It should be in its own package nowadays.
It doesn't always start though, and you don't always get feedback when attempts failed (or weren't even made). I've never really understood the why and how of that.
The epoll_wait warning suggests that the kontact crash is a side-effect, that the cause is somewhere else in the intricate hatpin structure of Akonadi that's been corrupted by the recent update.
If you don't get the feedback on the bug ticket, you can get a backtrace by launching kontact through the debugger:

%> gdb /usr/bin/kontact
%(gdb) r
% #after the crash
%(gdb) thread apply all bt

>I wonder if this has anything to do with baloo.

IIRC KDEPIM stopped using baloo directly a while ago already, at least the desktop search part of it (and probably because baloo desktop search only works on Linux AFAIK).

R.