Local mail storage (was: Re: kmail sigh)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Feb 6 11:12:37 GMT 2018

Sandro Knauß - 06.02.18, 10:06:
> So for POP3 setup you need a place where you store the mails this is in case
> of KMail maildir, mbox or mixedmbox. All three resources have issues
> unfortunately and we can't skip one of them, because all are used from
> users. So it is not the protocol IMAP vs. POP3 implementation, but the
> storage resource that make the problems here. More in detail:  File
> manipulation fail more often than we expected before hand and that we can't
> copy/cache all mails to Akonadi database.

It probably would be good to get rid of one of the both maildir based
resources, to reduce the amount of code. But it would require a migration…

… another option would be to try to unify the generic implementation behind
both resources… but I do not think that this is feasible given that maildir
resource uses a maildir handling library, while ARAIR mixedmaildir does it all
on its own.

I loved mixedmaildir resource, cause it provided a good option for archiving
old mails in mbox files, but I migrated to a pure maildir resource. (And last
time I tried to re-import my old mixed maildir archive mixedmaildir resource
consumed all available memory during scanning the directory, I could try
incrementally tough, a new idea that just occured to me. I.e. add an empty
mixedmaildir resources and move over folder by folder or so :)

Well this all shows that when it comes to features KDEPIM + Akonadi are
*extremely* powerful. However this comes at a price of a high cost to keep all
of this up-to-date and fix issues in user setups, cause they can vary quite a
lot.

Thanks,
--
Martin