kmail sigh

Jörg Schaible joerg.schaible at gmx.de
Wed Feb 7 00:53:41 GMT 2018

Am Mon, 05 Feb 2018 22:25:42 +0100 schrieb Sandro Knauß:

> Hey,
>
>> I quite appreciate the need for a "reproducer" this a common thing that
>> developers ask for and is a reasonable request.
>> The trouble with this is that it does not address the real world. To
>> create a sane reproducer for this bug is not so easy as it sounds as it
>> is possible that the issues occur because of the large volume of
>> mail/headers that are being processed. Creating a small scale
>> installation may not create the same conditions thus to be
>> representative I need to work with the data and mail accounts that I
>> have since this is the real world situation. There is already growing
>> evidence that some of the issues are load dependent as postgresql seems
>> to perform better than the mysql variants.
>
> well the issue is not so common, that the devs can't reproduce them
> easily. I use kdepim a daily - it is my only email reader for many years
> now. I also have tons of mails and use mysql without any longer waiting
> periods. So for many people kdepim works quite well, that's why we need
> to address the surroundings, when this is the case.

I am quite sure, I can provide the data to reproduce this. KMail/Akonadi claims to have 9000 mails in my Trash
folder. However, if I use Trojita to look at my IMAP account, there are only about 50 in it. It seems there's no
possibility to force KMail/Akonadi to reset the account and correct the number of mails.

Those ~9000 mails are old reports of my router kept in an IMAP folder in my server. My account in the KMail
5 setup was quite new (after the import from KMail 4 failed) and it was working fine. However, since I've tried
to delete those mails, the account is hosed. KMail will only find new mails in my inbox, when I quit it, stop
Akonadi and restart KMail again. Otherwise it is synchronizing forever.

My server is a Courier installation and I have still backups with that maildir on the server containing all these
mails. Try to delete the oldest 9.000 and I make any bet, your account is hosed also. I can provide this data,
the archive is about 3.5MB.

[snip]

Cheers,
Jörg