kmail sigh

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 10:27:53 GMT 2018

On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 09:06:34 GMT Sandro Knauß wrote:

> ... for POP3 setup you need a place where you store the mails this is in
> case of KMail maildir, mbox or mixedmbox. All three resources have issues
> unfortunately and we can't skip one of them, because all are used from
> users. So it is not the protocol IMAP vs. POP3 implementation, but the
> storage resource that make the problems here. More in detail:  File
> manipulation fail more often than we expected before hand and that we
> can't copy/cache all mails to Akonadi database.

Useful explanation - thanks.

> Also the filtering is different - with IMAP you often have sieve
> available, so no local mail filtering is needed/used. For POP3 you rely
> heavily on mail filtering, that triggers even more actions on maildir
> resource.

I've evaded the POP3 problem by installing an IMAP server on a local
machine, which uses fetchmail to collect the emails and dovecot to serve
them to me in KMail.

I still have all my KMail filters from my POP3 days, unchanged (plus one to
move any remaining messages from the IMAP inbox to the Local Folders inbox
where they can be included in my daily archive).

The filters work without problem on an IMAP source - but not on POP3 of
course.

Peter.