kmail sigh

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Tue Feb 6 09:06:34 GMT 2018

Hey,

> Why should POP3 vs IMAP matter? They're just protocols for retrieving files.
> POP3 worked quite fine for years for me before Akonadi started choking on
> them. And quite fine in plenty of other non-Akonadi-tainted mailers. All my
> emails get picked up from my ISP - it's what KMail does with them after
> that's the problem.

Because the setup is different. With POP3 the mails needs to be downloaded and
will be gone from server afterwards. With IMAP the mails keep on the server
and Akonadi only need to request the server for mails or when offline
availability is requested Akonadi, just needs to cache the answers from the
server, but can request them again...

So for POP3 setup you need a place where you store the mails this is in case
of KMail maildir, mbox or mixedmbox. All three resources have issues
unfortunately and we can't skip one of them, because all are used from users.
So it is not the protocol IMAP vs. POP3 implementation, but the storage
resource that make the problems here. More in detail:  File manipulation fail
more often than we expected before hand and that we can't copy/cache all mails
to Akonadi database.

Also the filtering is different - with IMAP you often have sieve available, so
no local mail filtering is needed/used. For POP3 you rely heavily on mail
filtering, that triggers even more actions on maildir resource.

hefee