kmail sigh

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Feb 6 10:59:05 GMT 2018

Hi Peter.

Peter Humphrey - 06.02.18, 11:27:
> On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 09:06:34 GMT Sandro Knauß wrote:
[…]
> > Also the filtering is different - with IMAP you often have sieve
> > available, so no local mail filtering is needed/used. For POP3 you rely
> > heavily on mail filtering, that triggers even more actions on maildir
> > resource.
>
> I've evaded the POP3 problem by installing an IMAP server on a local
> machine, which uses fetchmail to collect the emails and dovecot to serve
> them to me in KMail.
>
> I still have all my KMail filters from my POP3 days, unchanged (plus one to
> move any remaining messages from the IMAP inbox to the Local Folders inbox
> where they can be included in my daily archive).
>
> The filters work without problem on an IMAP source - but not on POP3 of
> course.

Maybe some day I will do this as well.

I use POP3 mainly because I do not want to store months or even years of mails
on my server. As they may contain sensitive information.

My ideal setup would be this:

- Have IMAP for about one month

- Have IMAP client move all older mails to local storage on laptop, preserving
the folder hierarchy.

What I currently have is this:

- Postfix MTA delivers all mail for me into the maildirs of two users.
- Akonadi retrieves all mail from one of those users via POP3 and removes them
from the server
- K9 Mail on Handy points to the other user via IMAP
- A cron job on the server cleans all mails older than 14 days for this user.

So last 2 weeks in handy, and all the rest on laptop :)

Thanks
--
Martin