Goodbye for now, kmail

Gianluca Montecchi gian at grys.it
Tue May 9 13:56:40 BST 2017

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 01:08:55PM +0100, ianseeks wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 09:11:59 BST Gianluca Montecchi wrote:
> >
> > Technical reasons aside, the big problem here is that the KDEPIM
> > developers have not learned anything from the KDE4 initial release
> > fiasco, so they repeated it: release basically an alpha version as
> > "ready for the end users", which in my experience is way far from the
> > thruth.
>
> The so called "KDE4 fiasco" was down to the distro's releasing it too soon, not
> the KDE team. The KDE said the release was for devs to port their software so
> blame the distros.

On the kde site the 4.0.0 is not a a Release candidate nor a Beta.

Nothing in the release announcement still on the KDE site state that the
4.0 release is aimed to the developers other than a generic "For those
interested in getting packages to test and contribute....", which in a
wording or another is present in all the announcements.

But also if, as I can agree, the problem was not by the KDE team but the
distros, the way it was managed was a fiasco.

But at least with the KDE 4.0 you have a clear path to downgrade and
still able to work.

With the new KDEPIM no, once you have akonadi there is no way to return
a pre-akonadi version and this, in my opinion, is/was the biggest
problem.

Ok, I know of Trinity, but to me it seems stupid to ditch the
now stable kde4/plasma5 just to have a working kmail installation:
it is way better to ditch kmail and install claw/thunderbird/whatever.

And I am also looking into Kube, but until there is no support for POP3 is a
no-go for me.

bye
Gianluca