Goodbye for now, kmail

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat May 6 09:46:49 BST 2017

Ingo Klöcker - 06.05.17, 10:37:
> KMail has been improved a lot (even with paid contracts) for enterprise
> users. And enterprise users usually use IMAP. Enterprise power users
> probably use server-side filtering and normal enterprise users (from my
> experience) don't filter their mail at all automatically. Moreover, for
> most enterprise users the latency to the IMAP server is extremely low. I
> guess those are all reasons why IMAP works quite well (with decent IMAP
> servers and not too huge folders).

I can easily proof performance related issues with fast Dovecot IMAP server up
to Akonadi 16.04. Like the folder synchronisation after pressing delete key on
5-10 mails in a folder. This is an IMAP server on a VM on enterprise hardware
and it also happens through low latency network access. However I see the VM
doing heavy I/O – and there may be some I/O bottleneck on the VM that is
delaying this. I think it has to do with Akonadi asking the IMAP server to
deliver at least the UIDs for even larger folder on every attempt to
synchronize the folder.

As a user I would be happy with the following synchronisation behaviour:

- Only synchronize a folder when I access it.
- Then keep that folder somewhat updated for as long as I access it. I think
this should be setable. For one folder like INBOX it is easy enough cause PUSH
can be used.
- Never ever synchronize other folders, even when filtering mails into them.

Hopefully that maildir folder move is completed after maybe 1 hour at least,
mysqld still using 100% of one core.

--
Martin