Goodbye for now, kmail

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sat May 6 10:31:20 BST 2017

På Sat, 06 May 2017 10:37:59 +0200
Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> skrev:
> KMail has been improved a lot (even with paid contracts) for
> enterprise users. And enterprise users usually use IMAP. Enterprise
> power users probably use server-side filtering and normal enterprise
> users (from my experience) don't filter their mail at all
> automatically. Moreover, for most enterprise users the latency to the
> IMAP server is extremely low. I guess those are all reasons why IMAP
> works quite well (with decent IMAP servers and not too huge folders).

I use IMAP only. My main mail server does not provide server side
filtering, so I use local filtering. Mostly sorting into folders based
on mail headers, but I also have bogofilter marking spam mail (since
kde 5 it does not even move them away, though).

Using claws mail this is not a problem.

Since the last update, kmail is simply not able to display mail any
longer, it just chokes into its BSOD state. Restarting akonadi,
including killing of mariaDB, does not help - it just starts over.

The problem lies in akonadi.

Akonadi does not work for (IMAP) mail. It may be that it can be tweaked
to somewhat work in specific cases, if the peers like mail servers are
carefully chosen, but it is not a functional solution in general.

The only sane thing to do, is to deakonadify kmail.

Kindly,
Anders