Goodbye for now, kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat May 6 09:37:59 BST 2017

On Saturday 06 May 2017 00:53:19 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Saturday, May 6, 2017 12:05:56 AM CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Aside from that Akonadi has to work stable of course – I am indeed
> > surprised to read from quite some users that it still doesn´t work
> > for them aside from the very annoyed performance related issues I
> > described. For me it is quite stable meanwhile. I am still on
> > KDEPIM and Akonadi 16.04. I read reports there has been new
> > regressions, but my hope is that developers improved it instead.
>
> This is the really annoying part: it all just works for me. I don't
> know what I'm doing wrong, but it just works. I can't reproduce many
> of the misbehaviors and issues that users report and without that I
> can't fix them. Believe me that it really annoys me and that I'd much
> rather had the most broken setup ever that I could just analyze and
> fix, but I guess I'm just too lucky (or unlucky, depends on the point
> of view :-))

For me it also mostly works okay even with this old KMail 4.14.10. I'm
almost never seeing the dreaded "Retrieving ..." message. With some IMAP
servers/mail providers I'm seeing more problems while other IMAP
servers/mail providers just work. I've learned to keep the amount of
mail on the problematic IMAP server low. Latency could be a problem, but
that's just a wild guess.

FWIW, I'm almost exclusively using IMAP and I'm doing all filtering on
the server. Many problems seems to be related to local filtering and the
usage of POP and local mail folders.

KMail has been improved a lot (even with paid contracts) for enterprise
users. And enterprise users usually use IMAP. Enterprise power users
probably use server-side filtering and normal enterprise users (from my
experience) don't filter their mail at all automatically. Moreover, for
most enterprise users the latency to the IMAP server is extremely low. I
guess those are all reasons why IMAP works quite well (with decent IMAP
servers and not too huge folders).