Goodbye for now, kmail

Petric Frank pfrank at gmx.de
Sat May 6 11:00:47 BST 2017

Hello,

Am Samstag, 6. Mai 2017, 11:31:20 schrieb Anders Lund:
> På Sat, 06 May 2017 10:37:59 +0200
>
> Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> skrev:
> > KMail has been improved a lot (even with paid contracts) for
> > enterprise users. And enterprise users usually use IMAP. Enterprise
> > power users probably use server-side filtering and normal enterprise
> > users (from my experience) don't filter their mail at all
> > automatically. Moreover, for most enterprise users the latency to the
> > IMAP server is extremely low. I guess those are all reasons why IMAP
> > works quite well (with decent IMAP servers and not too huge folders).

agree.

> I use IMAP only. My main mail server does not provide server side
> filtering, so I use local filtering. Mostly sorting into folders based
> on mail headers, but I also have bogofilter marking spam mail (since
> kde 5 it does not even move them away, though).
>
> Using claws mail this is not a problem.
>
> Since the last update, kmail is simply not able to display mail any
> longer, it just chokes into its BSOD state. Restarting akonadi,
> including killing of mariaDB, does not help - it just starts over.
>
> The problem lies in akonadi.

I also sometomes hang in "Reading ..." (filtering) state. A restart does not help.
The only cure is to exiot kmail start akonadi konsole - executing to following SQL there (i
took it from a bug report):
------------------ cut ------------------------
DELETE FROM pimitemtable WHERE pimitemtable.id in ( SELECT id FROM ( SELECT id
FROM pimitemtable LEFT OUTER JOIN ( SELECT MIN(pimitemtable.id) as RowId,
pimitemtable.remoteId, pimitemtable.collectionId FROM pimitemtable GROUP by
pimitemtable.remoteId, pimitemtable.collectionId ) as KeepRows ON pimitemtable.id =
KeepRows.RowId WHERE KeepRows.RowId IS NULL) AS foo)
------------------ cut ------------------------

Then do a "akonadictl restart" before starting kmail again.

Judging fron the SQL statement above it seems to fix duplicate email issue.

> Akonadi does not work for (IMAP) mail. It may be that it can be tweaked
> to somewhat work in specific cases, if the peers like mail servers are
> carefully chosen, but it is not a functional solution in general.

here it works. But the rescans are really time consuming. My impression is that i have to
keep hands off kmail usage while there is a progress bar in the lower right edge working.
Nearly every time i don't follow this rule i had to fix akonadi database again.

I am currently using (Gentoo stable) kmail 4.14.10 (4.14.29)

regards
  Petric