Canonical list of ~/.local/share/akonadi directories and files

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Mar 30 20:47:00 BST 2017

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:50:22 AM MDT Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hello Jerome.
>
> Am Mittwoch, 29. März 2017, 23:24:22 CEST schrieb Jerome Yuzyk:
> > KDE-something on Fedora 25
>
> Thats definitely not specific enough and I won´t dig out what version that
> *might* be.

Thanks Martin.

It's KMail 5.4.2, and I said "KDE-something" because none of KMail's Help-
>About KDE dialogs give the KDE version and I didn't look elsewhere.
Konqueror's dialog says "Platform Version 4.14.29."

This may not be a fair question for KMail though, since I am wondering about
Akonadi. I asked here because KMail is 99.99% of my Akonadi use. KAlarm is
the 0.01% and I've already talked with its author about cleaning up that
corner of Akonadi.

> > I upgraded from Fedora 20 to 25, release by release. Now I'm doing some
> > cleanup of ~/.local/share/akonadi and I'dlike to know what directories
and
> > files I should have, so I can clear out what I shouldn't.
> >
> > For example, I have a akonadi.db with a Modify time of several years ago.
> > also have a few directories like db_misc and db_data/mysql with the same
> > time.
> >
> > So is there a list of what I should have?
>
> This has been discussed on the mailing list several times. I do not want to
> spend the time right now to dig out the right links, but AFAIR there was a
> quite comprehensive post by Dan, check out the thread "akonadi/KDE PIM
> backup/ restore" – it has the post by Dan and additional posts. Also there
> is a blog post "Myths about Akonadi: Where is my data" which is definately
> worth reading.

I have collected a range of pages that seem most relevant below.

> Also to answer your question it is important to know what versions of
> Akonadi and KMail you are using, since developers changed locations of
> quite some things several times.

I was hoping that there was some kind of current list somewhere, even buried
in a git repository. Perhaps a developer is reading.

> That the question comes up repeatedly clearly shows that it would be very
> good to have this information on *one* KDE userbase wiki page or so. But I
> do not want to invest the time right now to do this. More important things
> in my live right now and I basically know where the stuff is.

I'd be happy to, once I figure it out, but I only use KMail and KAlarm.

Somewhere there must be some Akonadi documentation for this low level.
Otherwise we just have to trust that migrations clean up after themselves,
and after migrating from Fedora 20-21-22-23-24-25 I see that may not be the
case. With Kalarm as an example, migration (around 24-25) left me with triple
the number of Akonadi resources defined and 3G of resource files.

Since I had to read through a chain of links and such anyway, here's my
collection of what is worth looking at. I haven't done more than browse
through for now. Time to get to work.

Dan's list:
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2016-October/000351.html
Other thread suggestions:
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2016-October/000358.html
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2016-October/000420.html
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2016-October/000376.html
Where is my data now?
    https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Where_is_my_data_now.3F
Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?
    https://blogs.kde.org/2011/11/13/akonadi-misconception-1-where-my-data
The PIM Setting Exporter Handbook
    https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/pim/pimsettingexporter/index.html
KMail Backup Options
    https://userbase.kde.org/Kmail/Backup_Options
KMail FAQ: Migration
    https://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Migration
KDE: Migrating your setup to a new distro
    https://userbase.kde.org/Kontact#Migrating_your_setup_to_a_new_distro
KDE PIM/Akonadi
    https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi