Synchronization settings (was: Re: Reducing .local/share/akonadi)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jul 27 11:33:43 BST 2017

Martin Steigerwald - 27.07.17, 12:21:
> Daniel Vrátil - 23.07.17, 11:29:
> > >
> > > It would be interesting if there were any control over the period of
> > > time
> > > that emails are cached.
> >
> > If you enable "download all messages for offline use", then all messages
> > are cached locally and fully indexed and are never expired from the
> > cache. If you uncheck the option, then only minimal email headers are
> > cached and of course the indexing is then limited, full-text is really
> > only available for emails you have opened before (so that full body is
> > retrieved and can be indexed). This is called on-demand retrieval and you
> > can configure how long the email body should be cached in Akonadi in
> > Folder properties -> Retrieval.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I wasn´t aware of this one, despite I have seen and configured it before for
> local maildirs as well, I set it to just synchronize when I click on a
> folder and only keep message content for 1 minute, its stored locally in
> filesystem anyway.
>
> I will check this for my work IMAP account as well.
>
> And I test what happens when I disable "synchronize on selecting folder" for
> local maildirs… cause well no one else changes these local maildirs except
> Akonadi, so why synchronize at all? For IMAP I think it makes sense to keep
> it activated, as the mailserver puts new mails into the folders, except
> maybe for inbox cause that might be updated by IMAP PUSH (or whatever that
> was called).

With Akonadi + KMail 16.04 this doesn´t work at all with local folders, with
MBOX folders or with IMAP folders:

What ever I set there, when I open the dialog again, the old settings are
still there.

Does this work for anyone else with a *newer* version of Akonadi and KMail,
preferable 17.04 or at least 16.12?

I think it worked once, cause I have non standard settings on local maildir
folders, but right now changing anything in KMail just does *nothing*. Same
goes for Akonadiconsole.

So does this work for anyone?

I hope to get newer packages with Debian Unstable soon, but Debian Qt/KDE work
is currently working on upgrading Qt from 4.7.x to Qt 4.9.1 and providing a Qt
WebEngine package alongside. (Qt Webengine has been a major pain for the team,
the resources it needs to build appear to be ridiculous.). There are recent KF
5 packages already and those Qt 4.9.1 package, but all first needs to be tested
and then Plasma and Applications.

I may try out KDE Neon Docker container.

Thanks,
--
Martin