Reducing .local/share/akonadi

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Sun Jul 23 10:32:14 BST 2017

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:23:38 PM CEST solitone wrote:
> I use kmail to access three IMAP accounts, one POP3 account, and a local
> folder.
>
> Since my .local/share/akonadi folder is pretty big (1.3 GB):
>
> $ du -h -d 1 .local/share/akonadi
> 401M    .local/share/akonadi/db_data
> 497M    .local/share/akonadi/search_db
> 377M    .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
> 4.0K    .local/share/akonadi/db_misc
> 1.3G    .local/share/akonadi
>
> I was wondering whether there is a way to clear up some space.
>
> For instance, what's the purpose of the search_db directory?

db_data is the MySQL database, which contains meta-data and some emails.
file_db_data contains emails that are too big to be stored in the database (by
default anything larger than 4KB). search_db is the full-text index. Except
for akonadictl vaacuum, as Martin suggested, there's not much else to do to
decrease the size.

You could disable "download emails for offline use" on your IMAP accounts so
that only headers are retained locally and not the entire emails, but remember
that your emails won't be available when you are offline if you use this
option.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9r9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683