Synchronization settings (was: Re: Reducing .local/share/akonadi)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jul 27 11:21:42 BST 2017

Daniel Vrátil - 23.07.17, 11:29:
> On Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:26:22 PM CEST solitone wrote:
> > On Thursday, 20 July 2017 20:55:22 CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > when I switch it [the "download all messages for offline use" otion] off
> > > I find that it only indexes folders I access, instead
> > > of indexing all of it. And it also stores mails just temporarily for
> > > caching and expunges them again.
> >
> > It would be interesting if there were any control over the period of time
> > that emails are cached.
>
> If you enable "download all messages for offline use", then all messages are
> cached locally and fully indexed and are never expired from the cache. If
> you uncheck the option, then only minimal email headers are cached and of
> course the indexing is then limited, full-text is really only available for
> emails you have opened before (so that full body is retrieved and can be
> indexed). This is called on-demand retrieval and you can configure how long
> the email body should be cached in Akonadi in Folder properties ->
> Retrieval.

Thank you.

I wasn´t aware of this one, despite I have seen and configured it before for
local maildirs as well, I set it to just synchronize when I click on a folder
and only keep message content for 1 minute, its stored locally in filesystem
anyway.

I will check this for my work IMAP account as well.

And I test what happens when I disable "synchronize on selecting folder" for
local maildirs… cause well no one else changes these local maildirs except
Akonadi, so why synchronize at all? For IMAP I think it makes sense to keep it
activated, as the mailserver puts new mails into the folders, except maybe for
inbox cause that might be updated by IMAP PUSH (or whatever that was called).

Thanks,
--
Martin