Upgrade woes

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 15:32:23 BST 2017

On Friday, 25 August 2017 11:34:09 BST Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> > There's a problem with the British English dictionary too. It thinks
> > "modernise" should be spelt "modernize". That's just plain wrong. It
> > also
> > doesn't recognise "spelt" - nor "recognise".
>
> Those are (hunspell) dictionary issues and are unrelated to KDE.

Are you sure? I haven't made any changes to Hunspell, nor to my locale
(unless I've missed something), and I've just been back and checked to make
sure. And it still objects to "colour" below. So I think, if it is Hunspell,
it's being called wrongly.

> But:
>
> https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/modernize
> https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/ize-or-ise/
>
> ;-)

The Oxford dictionaries and punctuation standards have long been
controversial. In fact "the Oxford comma" is notorious (and apparently /de
rigeur/ in USA).

:-)

> There is a nice thing about this in some Morse episode: Morse discovers
> that some text is written by an ‘uneducated’ person, because that person
> doesn't use ‘ize’ where he ‘should have’, but ‘ise’ instead.
>
> > And now they're in pale blue. Still not exactly conspicuous.
>
> This can be personalized in the kmail settings under Look (? I have it in
> Dutch) and then font and color.

So it can, under Appearance - thanks Eric. I've set Unread to be the same
colour as Important. Odd that I've not had to do this before.

Peter.