Upgrade woes

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 15:29:05 BST 2017

On Friday, 25 August 2017 11:34:09 BST Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> > There's a problem with the British English dictionary too. It thinks
> > "modernise" should be spelt "modernize". That's just plain wrong. It
> > also
> > doesn't recognise "spelt" - nor "recognise".
>
> Those are (hunspell) dictionary issues and are unrelated to KDE.

Are you sure? I haven't made any changes to Hunspell, nor to my locale
(unless I've missed something), and I've just been back and checked to make
sure.

> But:
>
> https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/modernize
> https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/ize-or-ise/
>
> ;-)

The Oxford dictionaries and punctuation standards have long been
controversial. In fact "the Oxford comma" is notorious (and apparently /de
rigeur/ in USA). I won't waste others' time in a debate over that though.

:-)

> There is a nice thing about this in some Morse episode: Morse discovers
> that some text is written by an ‘uneducated’ person, because that person
> doesn't use ‘ize’ where he ‘should have’, but ‘ise’ instead.
>
> > And now they're in pale blue. Still not exactly conspicuous.
>
> This can be personalized in the kmail settings under Look (? I have it in
> Dutch) and then font and color.

So it can, under Appearance - thanks. I've set unread to be the same colour
as important. never had to do this before.

Peter.