Upgrade woes

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 10:36:44 BST 2017

On Friday, 25 August 2017 10:23:30 BST I wrote:

> I've just upgraded and I'm not very happy. This is my second attempt at
> posting; the first time, while I was writing I went to check which
> dictionary was in use for spell checking - of course, it was American
> "English", in spite of the system-wide setting of UK. When I closed that
> dialogue my new mail had vanished. That needs a bug report.

I've since found where I had to set KMail's choice of language. It should
still default to the system-wide setting though.

> I still have a greyed-out Import menu item, so I'll never be able to
> recover mails from KMail's own archives. That also looks like a bug to
> me.
>
> Two fine-tuning aspects are important to me but have gone missing. First,
> I can't choose the font of the folder list, so it wastes space and now
> needs a vertical scroll bar. Second, I also can't choose the font of
> unread messages in the message list, which insists on being bigger than
> the read ones, in spite of my setting classic standard mailing list
> aggregation.

I was wrong about that latter item. The Settings dialogue says it's going to
list messages in 14pt, but it actually lists them at reduced intensity.
That's backwards, surely?

> Moreover, all my layout and config options had got lost and I had to set
> them up again. That's when I found the restrictions that have been imposed
> on font selection.
>
> Does my experience match anyone else's here?

Peter.