Upgrade woes

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 10:23:30 BST 2017

Hello list,

I'm starting a new thread rather than hijacking the Ctrl-N one. This is a
Gentoo stable box on which KMail has recently become available at version
5.5.3.

I've just upgraded and I'm not very happy. This is my second attempt at
posting; the first time, while I was writing I went to check which
dictionary was in use for spell checking - of course, it was American
"English", in spite of the system-wide setting of UK. When I closed that
dialogue my new mail had vanished. That needs a bug report.

I still have a greyed-out Import menu item, so I'll never be able to recover
mails from KMail's own archives. That also looks like a bug to me.

Two fine-tuning aspects are important to me but have gone missing. First, I
can't choose the font of the folder list, so it wastes space and now needs a
vertical scroll bar. Second, I also can't choose the font of unread messages
in the message list, which insists on being bigger than the read ones, in
spite of my setting classic standard mailing list aggregation.

Moreover, all my layout and config options had got lost and I had to set
them up again. That's when I found the restrictions that have been imposed
on font selection.

Does my experience match anyone else's here?

Peter.