Upgrade woes

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 11:22:11 BST 2017

On Friday, 25 August 2017 10:36:44 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 25 August 2017 10:23:30 BST I wrote:
> > I've just upgraded and I'm not very happy. This is my second attempt at
> > posting; the first time, while I was writing I went to check which
> > dictionary was in use for spell checking - of course, it was American
> > "English", in spite of the system-wide setting of UK. When I closed that
> > dialogue my new mail had vanished. That needs a bug report.

There's a problem with the British English dictionary too. It thinks
"modernise" should be spelt "modernize". That's just plain wrong. It also
doesn't recognise "spelt" - nor "recognise".

> I've since found where I had to set KMail's choice of language. It should
> still default to the system-wide setting though.
>
> > I still have a greyed-out Import menu item, so I'll never be able to
> > recover mails from KMail's own archives. That also looks like a bug to
> > me.

Nope. Wrong again. I had to install kde-apps/akonadi-import-wizard myself.
Once I'd done that I got my import back. Maybe if I'd installed kdepim-meta
instead of just KMail it would have been included. I didn't do so because I
don't need all that PIM stuff.

> > Two fine-tuning aspects are important to me but have gone missing.
> > First, I can't choose the font of the folder list, so it wastes space
> > and now needs a vertical scroll bar.

Wrong yet again. More playing with desktop settings has fixed it. I'll have
to put up with some ugly window borders though, unless I can find something
more pleasant and logical (I mean, why is the title bar of the active window
dark and all the inactive ones bright? Crackers.)

(Sometimes I think people love to change things just for the sake of it. I
had that experience at work too, where young hotshots were for ever coming
up with proposals to modernise things. They could never explain what that
meant, nor justify the cost of changing, but they always got their way.)

> > Second, I also can't choose the font of unread messages in the message
> > list, which insists on being bigger than the read ones, in spite of my
> > setting classic standard mailing list aggregation.
>
> I was wrong about that latter item. The Settings dialogue says it's going
> to list messages in 14pt, but it actually lists them at reduced
> intensity. That's backwards, surely?

And now they're in pale blue. Still not exactly conspicuous.

> > Moreover, all my layout and config options had got lost and I had to set
> > them up again. That's when I found the restrictions that have been
> > imposed on font selection.

Peter.