kmail 5.5.3 - custom fonts for message list themes option missing

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Aug 19 23:20:26 BST 2017

Hello.

Capstone Project - 18.08.17, 20:48:
> 1) it seems I lost the message list theme font editing capability. The one
> where you can cutomize the font for sender, subject, date and all those
> bits
> of email in preview pane.
[…]
> Can we please have those options back?
[…]
> 2) there is no possibilty ( at least it seems so ) to chose cutom font for
> unread messages list.

KDEPIM developers removed some years ago in order to significantly improve the
performance of displaying the message list of a folder.

I have been at the KDE Randa Meetings, where AFAIR, mostly Volker, did this
work, and the results I saw in my KMail setup have been very impressive. After
that I finally could open folders with > 50000 mails and see the contents
within seconds.

I think in order to convince KDE PIM developers to add font customizing
options back, you need to have very good reasons. It is the first complaint
about them missing I read about so far.

What do you use that options for?

Anyway, I thinks its unlikely a KDEPIM developer adds these back. They may not
mind of someone comes up with a patch that re-adds fonts customizing when it
doesn´t make KMail slower again (and doesn´t re-add back too much complexity
in the code).

That all written… there are ideas to add that on switching to a folder only a
the first few thousand messages are listed and only more when you drag down the
scroll bar. While this may allow for a bit slower code again… I still think
its not wise to re-add the complexity that was once in there.

Thanks,
--
Martin