kmail 5.5.3 - custom fonts for message list themes option missing

Capstone Project dummycapstone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 15:48:41 BST 2017

Dear KDEPIM devs/users,

gentoo has made kmail 5.5.3 stable as of today. And, unsuspectingly,
updating
the world got me into some issues with kmail:

1) it seems I lost the message list theme font editing capability. The one
where you can cutomize the font for sender, subject, date and all those
bits
of email in preview pane.

Just in case, the setting I am talking about is here:
Settings > Konfigure KMail > Appearance > Message List > Default theme >
Configure > pick the theme and see Advanced tab and right click on the
fileds
(see attached screenshot)

The previous version of the kmail( kmail-4.4.2017.04) from the tree had all
the bells and whistles. You could chose any font and/or custom color. The
new
version allows you select custom color, but only allows you make the font
either bold or italic which is unfortunate as the my choice of fonts make
the
message list pretty poorly readable as it looks too bunched up and lacks
visual clarity, unfortunately.

I grepped kmail-4.4.2017.04/messagelist for "font" and it has plenty going
on
with regards to the custom font functionality for those fields in a theme.
And
I am not talking about "softening". My point is about the customization
which
was present in "previous" version. The new version seems to have rather
poor
functionality. Is this a planned and conscious choice or perhaps a
regression?

Can we please have those options back?

2) there is no possibilty ( at least it seems so ) to chose cutom font for
unread messages list.

I saw a bug report regarding point 2) which was supposedly fixed, alas the
last reporter on it said it came back.

Please, can you please point me to a resource where I can read about these
minor but pertinent issues.

regards, A