Database maintenance

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 09:05:22 BST 2017

On Wednesday August 16 2017 09:33:28 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

>In my point of view Akonadi should handle at least the mysql_upgrade thing
>automatically (or not use a RDMS). It shall not require the user to be a
>database admin.

+++ that it shouldn't. KMail and the other "user ends" also shouldn't require users to be Akonadi admins, IMHO. If from time to time they require restarting all or part of Akonadi, they should have an easily findable menu or toolbar item to "restart background services" (and maybe certain agents could be stopped when the user-end stops or restarted when it is launched). The IMAP agents are prime candidates IMHO for not being kept running all the time but started on demand and stopped when no longer needed.

More often than not when I restart all of Akonadi I am informed that this or that agent crashed and won't be restarted (it will, of course); those are usually the IMAP agents. I cannot help but think that this is indicative of some sort of internal state mess-up which could well put the database(s) at risk too.

R.