connecting to GMail imap accounts and "akonadi resources for google services"

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Thu Apr 27 13:14:02 BST 2017

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:57:01 PM CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using a KaOS install to track progress in KDE PIM and after
> yesterday's update to Kontact 5.5.0 (and everything concurrent) I can no
> longer connect to my GMail IMAP accounts on that set-up.
>
> What I get is a window posted by the IMAP agent showing a Google web page
> asking me to chose an account to continue to "Akonadi Resources for Google
> Services". I follow the steps and end up with a code that I have to copy
> and paste somewhere "in my application". I don't see any place where I
> might do that.

You should not have to copy or paste anything, the authentication should
automatically get the code and proceed.

Make sure the SASL plugin for XOAUTH is installed properly (check if you can
see kdexoauth2 in "pluginviewer-c" output (or "saslpluginviewer -c")).

> My accounts are configured to use the legacy/simpler authentication
> mechanism and I can still connect without problem using KDE PIM 4.13 and
> 4.14 on my other Linux systems and Mac. Why then this new behaviour under
> KF5, and what do I do to gain access to my email in the current KMail
> version?!

In 5.5 IMAP will always use the new XOAUTH authentication for Gmail.

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683