Encrypt some emails

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:40:27 BST 2016

On Monday, October 24, 2016 05:34:50 PM Sascha Manns wrote:
> Am Montag, 24. Oktober 2016, 11:25:23 CEST schrieb Michael Mol:
> > On Monday, October 24, 2016 05:25:03 PM Sascha Manns wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > it is possible to encrypt a email by sending out. But it is possible in
> > > KMail to select one email and encrypt it with my own public key?
> > > I haven't found any possibility.
> >
> > Sure; send the email to the email address your public key is associated
> > with.
>
> Yes that idea i haved too. Problem with this doing is that it breaks the
> email header. So i'm the sender of each mail and searching is difficult. In
> general i have 200 - 300 Mails in three IMAP folders.

So you want to take a message that exists in an IMAP folder, encrypt the body,
and replace the existing message?

I don't know if any existing tools that will do that for you. You could
construct one, of course, but the idea of modifying existing data gives me the
heebie jeebies, and it fundamentally cannot be a lossless operation; you will
lose something about the message, whether that's "this message wasn't
originally encrypted" or something else. Modifying existing messages taints
them from the perspective of "this message represents a true record".

Rewriting the body and attachments of a message is an approach you're trying
to use to achieve some other goal...what's that other goal? Perhaps there's a
better solution.

--
:wq