Akonadi dsaster

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Oct 7 23:39:30 BST 2016


Am Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2016, 09:19:19 CEST schrieb O. Sinclair:
> It is, and sorry for rant, but it is quite simply embarrasing that K9
> mail on my android phone works better than KMail 5.x
> Akonadi was/is probably a nice concept but crash in this version not
> only on a daily but basically hourly basis. Noone seems to know just why
> the database thing goes bonkers all the time.
> I am dead tired of "akonadictl stop", "akondictl fsck" and "akonadictl
> start". Then wait while the mails from IMAP are downloaded once again
> though it is set to "offline IMAP".
> Can we "deAkonadi" KMail?

While I still think Akonadi has some severe issues like moving of 1000nds of 
mails from one maildir folder to another is almost as inefficient as it can get 
and moving a complete folder even more so…

and akonadi being basically single-tasking so that a background folder 
synchronisation blocks out KMail…

as well as Akonadi + Exchange IMAP something just not displaying new mail via 
IMAP push to inbox without akonadictl stop ; start …

I do not have anything near daily crashes.

This hints to me that something on your setup is different to my setup.

And believe me I am probably one of the users with the most insane amount of 
mails and folders in maildirs *ever*.

More than 1 million mails in my regular maildir and I bet more than 500000 
maybe even another 1 million in archival folders that I excluded from Akonadi 
Search indexing.

I think its about time I also try to exclude IMAP folders from indexing… yet I 
think with IMAP there may be the issue that it just doesn´t respect the folder 
indexing setting. Or maybe its even completely ignored… but since I didn´t 
access the archival folders anymore since last clearing Akonadi search_db they 
are not indexed.

I agree that most likely crashes could be in Akonadi search. If there is a 
special Xapian version that crashes, thats bad. But there could be also other 
reasons for crashes. Akonadi search is basically a renamed Baloo for mails and 
there is a thread on kde-ml and kde-frameworks-ml now that Baloo basically 
contains no error checking whatsoever for LMDB database accesses. Dunno 
whether that applies to current incarnation of Akonadi search too.

In anyway, Akonadi for me is pretty much stable. I didn´t see an Akonadi crash 
anymore in a time longer than I remember.

So if its crashing for you *daily*, something seems to be different and it 
could be helpful to stop ranting… and start describing what setup you actually 
have. (That said I completely get the ranting part. Having issues like that 
with a mail client you depend on is %&/§)=$/%. I completely get that).


More information about the kdepim-users mailing list