Akonadi dsaster

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Wed Oct 5 13:00:31 BST 2016

Quoting "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair at gmail.com>:

> On 10/05/16 10:35, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>> On Wednesday October 05 2016 09:55:34 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
>>
>>> There is a known issue with latest version of Xapian being crap and causing
>>> crashes [0], unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that. You can
>>
>> So this hypothesis from the bug report can be falsified?
>> "it looks like my problem is somehow related to akonadi/kmail
>> producing and not coping with invalid xapian searches."
>>
>> I see that baloo also uses xapian, and in the DebUntu universe it
>> is AFAIK used in the packaging system. If this is really about
>> Xapian being crap in and by itself one would expect it to crash
>> across the board. If it only crashes when used from akonadi there
>> must be something about the way akonadi uses it that is problematic.
>>
>> Either way there is something you can do about it: include a
>> known-to-work version (build as a static lib for instance) and
>> build against that by default if a known-not-to-work version is
>> detected.

> This is kind of why I finally lost me temper: I an an IT guy OK but
> to to be advised to buuld or downgrade or so on aint exactly what
> any shall we say a normal user expect?
>
> There is a reason my wife and kids use good ole boring Thunderbird
> (as do I in writing this). It works.
>
> Since upgrading to Plasma5 I have have ghost emails all over,
> constant redownloading of what is the recommended solution (IMAP)
> and I don't know what. I have to resort to webmail to actually do my
> job.
>
> Btw contacts search died again
>
> Can we just get rid of Akonadi, Xapian, MySql and so on and have
> plain simple maildir/mobox.
>
> I know absolutely noone that search for mails outside their mail
> app, be it Outlook or whatever.

well, I do. I use recoll and it's stable and fast (also not frequently
updated) Very handy with lots of mail and docs. Anyway your point
about simplifying is good.

Dave

--
"As long as politics is the shadow cast on society by big business,
the attenuation of the shadow will not change the substance."

-- John Dewey