Akonadi disaster

Wolf Drechsel wd-p at trolink.de
Wed Oct 5 14:24:19 BST 2016

> > Can we just get rid of Akonadi, Xapian, MySql and so on and have
> > plain simple maildir/mobox.
> >
> > I know absolutely noone that search for mails outside their mail
> > app, be it Outlook or whatever.

I left KdePIM more than a year ago for the continuous akonadi trouble.
Recently I tried to come back, but still these things seem to be
persistant - my first step was to make my CalDAV client work, and I got
stuck there, syncing with owncloud failed from the very beginning.

KdePIM (Kontact) is a really great piece of software, IFAIK unique in
in *nix world, really powerful, hardly lacking any features. It's such
a pity that this wonderful product is pulled down so much by the
akonadi problems.

I really appreciate the hard work all the people put into akonadi, and
I absolutely understand that it would be hard to dismiss all that work.

But - to achieve a useable product, wouldnt it be a good idea to create
a second branch "non-akonadi" of Kontact? - Maybe a little less
performant, but reliably working very soon. You know that there's a guy
called Pali (and probabely some other people), who got ahead with that
idea:

https://launchpad.net/~pali/+archive/ubuntu/kdepim-noakonadi

Maybe the akonadi option is one for the long run. But during the last
year, obviously that beast could not be domesticated.

Let's do a try to the "without" approach!

Cheers,
Wolf