First step with Kontact

Luis Felipe Tabera Alonso\ luisfe at lftabera.es
Thu Nov 24 20:13:02 GMT 2016

On miércoles, 23 de noviembre de 2016 18:22:32 (CET) Nick Skywalker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Kontact (and Kde) and I really don't know how to use it!
> I know that it's a suite with Korganizer, Kmail, etc... But I don't know
> how to create my first account.
> I would like to sync it with my google account. I have found tutorials
> about how to sync Kmail with gmail, Korganizer (or Kalendar?) with google
> calendar, but these tutorials suppose that you already have a Kontact
> account.
> When I load Kontact, the introduction page is displayed, I have the option
> to read the manual, visit Kontact website, setup my account or skip that
> introduction.
> The assistant for setting up my account propose me different options, like
> vCard File, POP3, Mailbox, etc... As I don't know which one to choose, I
> héve choose Personal Contacts. After setting a directory for the contacts,
> I am still on the introduction page and the "skip introduction" button
> doesn't work.

Nick:

If you have chosen 'Personal contacts' Then you already have configured a
'contact' account. Yo can click on the kaddressbook component and you can
start adding contacts there. However, they will be saved in the folder you
introduced and will not be synced with google.

If you want, for instance, a mail account, first you click on the KMail part.
Then, in the menu bar you click 'settings' -> 'configure KMail' and there will
be a new window with the kmail options, one of the options is 'accounts',
there you can add a new mail account. You will have to choose among the
options.

I have no idea about google contacts and email, but email is probably an IMAP
account, the data you have to add (server, user, password etc.) is google who
has to tell you.

Have you read, for instance the following? In which step do you not know how
to procceed?

https://userbase.kde.org/Special:MyLanguage/Working_with_GMail
https://userbase.kde.org/Special:MyLanguage/Working_with_Google_Contacts