[kdepim-users] kdepim akonadi Issue

Christopher Glasoe crglasoe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:57:08 GMT 2016

I have been following this thread with interest as I too have experienced the
same issues.

Yesterday, I inadvertently posted a log of Akonadi misbehaving only to realize
that that I had run Akonadiconsole as root. My apologizes for clogging and
misdirecting any efforts.

After realizing my mistake I thought it might help to add a few observations.
These don't appear to totally solve the problems, although for me Kmail5 and
Akonadi are functioning today and much better than they have for the past 2 to
3  weeks.

First, make sure that if you are running any part of Kontact version 5 that
everything else is compatible. It has been pointed out that version 4 (4.x) is
not compatible or co-installable with version 5. Also make sure that every
dependency is up-to-date.

What I found yesterday with a Gmail - IMAP account that wouldn't sync was in
deleting the offending account and then re-creating it, the sync started up
again.

But then the next Gmail - IMAP account started misbehaving. I deleted that
one, re-created it and the next Gmail - IMAP account started misbehaving. A
total of 4 Gmail accounts. Maybe Gmail or IMAP are/were the culprits.

I found that hard to believe because Gmail and IMAP have been working (for the
most part) for some time.

I had set up a custom order to my email accounts such that they appeared in
the order of importance for me. Out of purely random curiosity I decided to
put the "Local" account first followed by the random order that Kmail assigned
my Gmail accounts.

Right now everything is working. Filtering is working for the most part (one
filter is not moving emails to the folder I want, but one out of 50 is livable)
and Akonadi is not complaining.

I hope that it is not as simple as the order of email accounts presented.
Though it begs the question of how MySQL is looking at accounts then. Forgive
me though as I do not feel technically knowledgeable enough to place all the
blame on MySQL. Could it be that Akonadi in some way is attempting to organize
email from a base of the "Local" folder? Could Offline storage be involved?

I have not turned "Download for offline use" off to investigate further. I need
email working for the time being.  I may be jumping the gun here, but for now
it works.

I hope this helps in someway.

Chris