[kdepim-users] [Kde-pim] kdepim akonadi Issue

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Feb 20 12:20:33 GMT 2016

On Thursday, 2016-02-18, 20:33:01, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2016, 21:23:37 CET schrieb Nilesh Kokane:
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:
> > > However, there seems to be no Qt4 kdepimlibs that implements the new
> > > protocol or distributions don't know they have to ship that version when
> > > shipping the new Akonadi server.
> >
> > I build KF5 akonadi from source. So, should there be Qt4 to make the
> > akonadi work on its own?
>
> To my knowledge an KF5 Akonadi will not work with KDEPIM 4. It may be
> possible to develop support for the binary protocol into Qt4 based libs,
> but no one did it

Indeed, extremely disappointing.
Abandoning all non KDEPIM applications, leaving Evolution Data Server as the
only choice for central PIM data access shared between applications.
And EDS still can't do email and it doesn't have any Qt client library.

For me, being an independent PIM service was *the* major feature of Akonadi.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring