[kdepim-users] how do i...

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 19:10:22 BST 2015

On Thursday October 01 2015 10:15:15 salamandir at hybridelephant.com wrote:
>On 2015-10-01 09:57, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>> On Thursday October 01 2015 08:06:33 salamandir at hybridelephant.com
>> wrote:
>> If you have the calendar/clock widget in one of your panels (which is
>> the default in 14.04 I think), akonadi is started...
>
>oop... i had the calendar/clock widget running in both the old machine
>when i made the backup, and on the new machine when i tried to restore.
>
>is this something serious enough that i should try it again, without
>that widget running?
>
>>> is this something that, theoretically, i can try more than once?
>>
>> Yes, as long as you have your backup, you can restore it as many times
>> as you want.
>
>phew!
>
>> I'd empty the entire new home directory first, minus of course any
>> files you're sure you changed and must keep.
>
>that's going to take some time... i was experiencing SMART problems on a

It's not actually required. I just said this because then you're sure you'll be restoring everything.

>what i was hoping is to restore /only/ the kmail directory, which,
>really, is the only one that makes any difference.

Ah, you didn't say that! There's more to kmail than just its directory (which one, in fact?)

This is what I backup when doing a KDE PIM backup (you can be more selective with the *rc files of course), and I'm not even sure if that's really everything!
What I'd do is restore the entire ~/.kde, ~/.local and ~/.config directories; that way you also should retrieve your other desktop settings .

.kde/share/config/foldermailarchiverc
.kde/share/config/kaddressbookmigratorrc
.kde/share/config/kaddressbookrc
.kde/share/config/emaildefaults
.kde/share/config/emailidentities
.kde/share/config/mailtransports
.kde/share/config/mailviewerrc
.kde/share/config/knoderc
.kde/share/config/kontactrc
.kde/share/config/kontact_summaryrc
.kde/share/config/kmail2.notifyrc
.kde/share/config/kmail2rc
.kde/share/config/kmailcvtrc
.kde/share/config/kmail.eventsrc
.kde/share/config/kmail-migratorrc
.kde/share/config/kmail-mobilerc
.kde/share/config/kmailrc
.kde/share/config/kmailsnippetrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_akonotes_resource_*rc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_archivemail_agentrc
.kde/share/config/akonadiconsolerc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_contactrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_facebook_resource_*rc
.kde/share/config/akonadi-firstrunrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_folderarchive_agentrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_googlecontacts_resource_*rc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_imap_resource_*rc
.kde/share/config/akonadikderc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_maildir_resource_*rc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_mailfilter_agentrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi-migrationrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_nepomuk_feederrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent.notifyrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agentrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_nntp_resource_*rc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_notes_agentrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_sendlater_agentrc
.kde/share/config/akonadi_vcard_resource_*rc
.kde/share/config/kresources
.kde/share/apps/kaddressbook
.kde/share/apps/kabc
.kde/share/apps/knode