[kdepim-users] how do i...

salamandir at hybridelephant.com salamandir at hybridelephant.com
Thu Oct 1 20:53:57 BST 2015

On 2015-10-01 11:10, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday October 01 2015 10:15:15 salamandir at hybridelephant.com
> wrote:
>> what i was hoping is to restore /only/ the kmail directory, which,
>> really, is the only one that makes any difference.
>
> Ah, you didn't say that! There's more to kmail than just its directory
> (which one, in fact?)
>
> This is what I backup when doing a KDE PIM backup (you can be more
> selective with the *rc files of course), and I'm not even sure if
> that's really everything!
> What I'd do is restore the entire ~/.kde, ~/.local and ~/.config
> directories; that way you also should retrieve your other desktop
> settings .
>
> .kde/share/config/foldermailarchiverc
>
> <!-- SNIP! -->
>
> .config/mysql-no-logging.sql

what you say makes me think that wiping the machine and starting over is
a much better alternative than trying to work out exactly which things
have changed, because of the fact that, over the past few days, as i
have been trying this thing, and that thing, and getting more and more
anxious and frustrated, i'm fairly sure i can't remember everything i've
changed, much less determine whether or not what i have changed will
make a significant difference.

unfortunately, it's probably not going to happen today, as i have a gig
in about an hour and a half, and the rest of the band kinda needs their
tuba player... ;-)