[kdepim-users] IMAP and permanent folder syncing

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 10:46:58 GMT 2015

On Wednesday November 25 2015 08:53:10 Matthias Dahl wrote:

>Since I have a rather large inbox with many subfolders, a sync of the main
>folder can take a bit of time.

kdepim 4.1x allowed one to set the retrieval properties per folder, including the use of the parent folder's properties.
Those properties also included the option to sync at an interval or when selecting the folder, whether or not to retrieve full messages at once as well as the duration for which messages bodies are to be cached locally.

Local caching of course doesn't make sense when your IMAP server is already local (it's the reason for which I stopped using Apple Mail on my Mac).

The 4.1x range only supported IMAP IDLE ("new email notification without explicit checking") on a single folder. If that's still accurate, you're likely to miss new messages in the subfolders under the inbox if you do the sorting outside (upstream) of kmail. In that case it'd be up to you to (re)define your priorities...

BTW, what's the point of sorting email in subfolders under the inbox? I've always seen that as a nuisance imposed by certain IMAP servers, and have set my own local imap server to use folders that are independent of my inbox (local inbox isn't used) and that are stored under my home directory (and thus backed up). Then again I'm using a simple UW imap server with just a home-made patch so it doesn't necessarily serve my whole $HOME as its root maildir; it's good enough for my purposes.

R.